Interested in gardening? Interested in improving health and quality of life in and around Modesto through small scale, local, sustainable agriculture and community building?
- Start a garden and grow an extra row of vegetables for the food bank.
- Support local farmers by shopping at farmers markets and grocery stores that buy locally. Subscribe to a local farm to get a weekly box of vegetables (usually called a CSA).
- Support good organizations that work nationally and internationally to fight hunger and poverty through sustainable agriculture projects (such as Heifer International!)
- Know where your food comes from, how it was grown, and how the people growing it (farmworkers most likely) were treated.
- Tell Congress to scale back subsidies for agribusiness and to reward farms that preserve the environment and serve their communities.
- Buy fair trade coffee and chocolate (and anything else fair trade) to help small farmer cooperatives in other countries survive.
- When you are shopping for a gift, look to alternative gift fairs and organizations like SERRV, Ten Thousand Villages, and Global Exchange that sell sustainable fair trade crafts that allow poor urban and rural communities in developing countries to support themselves.
- Give a microloan to a struggling farmer through Kiva.org.
- There are many many more things you can do! Add to this list by leaving a comment at the bottom of this page!